Friday, March 20, 2009

podcast script










SCRIPT TEMPLATE

Gluten, Friend or Foe?


Complete Show Length in minutes: 5:52

Episode 1: Topic: Celiac Disease
Intro Music Clip: Title: Cake Walk from the Suite of Old American Dances by R.R. Benet Minutes: 0.35 sec (2:10-2:45)
Intro: What’s going on? Minutes: 0.32
In today’s segment, we will be talking about something that is becoming more and more popular. No, it’s not what the hottest celebrities are wearing, or who’s listening to what music, or what latest movie is coming out. We are talking about celiac. Celiac is a disease that causes gluten to not be absorbed into the digestive system. This can be accompanied with many different kinds of symptoms, some being not as threatening to your person and some being more serious to the point of hospitalization. Each case is very different, some may not even be aware of their symptoms because they don’t really have any, and others, like me, notice when we’ve eaten something that we shouldn’t have.

Segment Music Clip: Title: Endless column by Blue Man Group Minutes: 3:00
Segment: The Facts Minutes: 3:26
As mentioned earlier, celiac disease is where the human digestive system does not absorb gluten or any food containing gluten. Symptoms of this can range from, anemia or just not feeling like everything is normal to vomiting and having to run to the bathroom after eating just one bite of food. Now, there is a subgroup of celiac disease members that have what is called DH. DH is when instead of having reactions to the gluten in the body; their reactions are on their skin, which is what I have. This little subgroup is only about 10% of all people with celiac disease, so there aren’t many of us out there. These people get watery, pus filled blisters on their skin and the most common places where these pop up tend to be on the elbows and knees. I know, it’s not the prettiest thing, to talk about, but sometimes the gross stuff has to be brought out to the public so they can be aware of it.

I was recently diagnosed with this back in November of 2008, right before thanksgiving. How sad? Anyway, I remembered from a few weeks before that my Comp 105 professor at the University of Michigan in Dearborn, Professor Debra Fletcher, had said something about how she couldn’t eat the cupcakes one of my class mates brought in because she was allergic to the wheat in it. Sorry if I didn’t specify earlier, gluten is in wheat so all wheat products are out the question, like breads, and even some sauces too. Back to the story, I had remembered this and I sent her an email because I had a lot of questions to ask. She had been diagnosed two years earlier and didn’t have any symptoms at all. She had gone in to find out about another health issue, and found out she has celiac disease, which could’ve explained her anemia. Now, I re-interviewed her a few weeks ago and she gave me most of the same advice she did back in November 2008, but some new information as well.

She told me about these places to go get groceries, Hiller’s market, Whole Foods, and Trader Joes. If you want to go out to eat, like other non-celiac people, there are some places to go to. She recommended P.F. Changs, but most other restaurants do have a gluten free menu. Red Robin and Outback steakhouse have gluten-free menus, and I found this really good Italian restaurant called Guilio’s and it’s in Livonia. They have a wide variety of gluten-free pasta’s and they actually have gluten-free bread! Yes, bread, and in my opinion it tastes better than the store bought regular bread. Some of the brands that my professor recommends are Mi-Del and Celiac food products. There are a lot of foods today that are gluten-free. The Mi-Del and the Celiac brands obviously, all fruits and vegetables, all meats that haven’t had preservatives added to them, most candies today don’t have gluten in them, and even in the local Kroger you can find a small section of gluten-free foods in the health food isle. But to go grocery shopping, you would probably have to go to either Hiller’s or Whole Foods for most of the really good gluten-free brands. The one thing about foods that she did stress on was that not all organic foods are gluten-free. They may still contain some wheat or wheat grain and that makes it not “healthy” for us.


End Segment Music Clip: Title: Dueling Guitars from August Rush soundtrack Minutes: 1:26
Ending: What annoys us the most Minutes: 1:26
What professor Fletcher wants to have everyone else understand is “I wish people would realize that we’re not trying to be picky or high-maintenance, and that it is a serious condition with serious consequences if the recommended diet is not followed.” I can sympathize with her. I now know how hard it is to find food. I know I have to plan my meals a few days in advance so I won’t go hungry when I’m on campus. When I go out with friends, I have to bring my own food, which is really annoying. Some of them think it’s cute, which I find very odd, but then again they are my friends, and that in itself should explain a lot.

Now, I don’t want to leave on a bad note, but the rest of the world needs to know about celiac disease and its consequences. On a good note, you do eat a lot healthier because most of the carbs have been taken out of your diet, and possible weight loss can happen. I believe I’ve lost a few pounds since I’ve started eating gluten-free, and I’m not complaining. I hope you all have learned something new today, and will remember that those who have celiac disease don’t mean to be picky eaters; it’s just that they have to be.

Ending Music Clip: Title: Radio Ga Ga by Queen Minutes: 0.28 (1:57 – 2:25)

2 comments:

Jessica said...

I believe that your Podcast Script flows VERY smoothly. The transitions between the Intro, Segment, and Ending were all related and the topic of learning more about the it was always at hand. I don't think you should change anything within the Script.
There is a lot of information being thrown out but i don't think that it is too much at once. The information is important to know, and you hit a lot of key points in of information.
I'm not too sure about any of the music choices. To be honest I don't know any of the songs that you had picked out either. Sorry I couldn't help with that.

Bhumi Patel said...

The podcast was really good. It was entertaining and informative. It had my attention the whole time. Everything flowed very smoothly, and all the segments connected to one another. There is not too much information being thrown at us, it is just the right amount for all the readers to be aware of the disease and be cautious around people who have it. It must be really hard planning your meals a few days in advance, but it's good you stay ahead. Your music choices are fine, I wouldn't recommend changing it. I'm looking forward to seeing your podcast!