Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Advocate project



*Print screen of my project*


Most schools have some kind of music program. Every program is different from one another because each school district divides up their budget differently from each other. Even the richest school district would have a poorly funded music program because that is not what the district main focuses on. All school districts should try to budget more money to the music programs.


Through the music programs, students learn so many different skills and abilities no matter what instrument they play. While doing research for my project, I found out that music does much more that just teach kids more about math and science. Yes, math and science are used in music making. They learn how to be more patient, not every piece of music is going to be easy. They also learn how to multitask. Musicians have to read the notes on the staff, take in account dynamics, or how loud or soft to play, how short or long the note is supposed to be, who has the more important part at that time, whether that note sounds in tune or not, and much more all in the fraction of a second. Students also learn how to be part of a team. They have to work together as hard as they can to make even one piece as close to perfect as possible, and most bands tend to perform more than one piece at a concert. Funding to have students learn these valuable skills that will help them become better people, and should be continued so those skills will still be taught to younger generations.


While continuing my research, I was surprised at how many studies have been done on the teaching of music and what the advantages are to learning music or just even appreciating music. I found out that even by listening to music, people can learn to appreciate it more and can then think about solving problems differently than if they didn’t listen to music. Just writing this, I’m listening to music to help my creative process. Then I got writers block for an hour, but music does help me organize my thoughts on to put them on paper, especially classical music.

When working on my project, I was reminded of my experiences in high school. These experiences were the character building moments in my life. When the band went to competitions, we were always told by our director that “It’s not the destination, it’s the journey.” That means that the scores shouldn’t matter; the only thing that matters is how well you performed and if you think you did well. It doesn’t matter how well someone else thinks you did, as long as you know that was your best. Band taught me how to organize my time. It also helped to me find the inspiration that I need when I’m trying to finish something. I know that quitting is never an option, and you have to work through the hard stuff to appreciate the simple things. Because I had band, I learned those things which is why the school districts should put more funding into music programs.

6 comments:

Danny C. said...

I agree that the music programs in schools are very important. Although i never took any music classes or played an instrument, but I know many people that have. To those you enfjoy music programs it priovides them with a fun activity to do. Mos tpeople just think of sports as after school prgrams but music is just as important. I thi9nk you did a great job of advocating and you argued your topic very well. Great Job!

Bhumi Patel said...

I agree with this! Schools need to have more after school project that can be creative. Sports, and academic programs always have extra sessions after school for people who are interested. People who enjoy music and art don't have as many options. I am not the creative type so I would not be interested in going to any after school session, but it'd be nice to have that option. Who knows, if I did attend one of those sessions, I may have ended up liking it.

Ayii nani!!! said...

I agree with this too! Music is very important and it should be taught along in school. It's very sad now how a lot of schools have to close their music programs down just because they cant afford them.

Jessica said...

I totally agree with you! I had band in middle school and high school and I can't be more grateful for the things that it taught me. I think all schools should invest in all different kinds of extra programs like band, sports, and other activities. Education doesn't just come from the classroom and most people don't understand that. Learning happens through experiences and different activities even though we don't know we are learning, after thinking about what we went through or what we did, we find that our actions tell stories.

Redcrow/Michael A. Schneider said...

Good topic for your advocation, I never learned how to play an instrument but like many people I wanted to learn. You make good points about general benefits that come with music programs, and how allot of schools have poor programs. :( You had a few typos, but other than that you did a good job.

Yevhen said...

I really liked the topic you chose because I thought it was very original. You had a very credible point of view seeing as you went through this and thus this makes your argument strong. I like how you related what you learned in band to the real world. The school that I went to my senior year had one of the biggest bands in the metro-Detroit, and all our games and pep rallys where REALLY loud. I believe that music is a big part of everyone's life and therefore it should be appreciated.